Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'm in Africa!

Paris
I've been on three continents in the last three days and last night I made it safely to Africa with all my luggage! It was a little late when we got in because of the strikes going on in France. We boarded the plane and then sat there in the plane and waited for a couple hours before we took off. But I made it!

The plane landed in Bangui last night at 6:45. It was pitch black and a balmy (humid) 83 degrees. The streets outside the airport were lined with African people and markets lit up by tiny little candles. It looked really cool!
Nzoni Gango, Bienvenue, Welcome
My house!
I wish I could tell you about everything I've done in the past 24 hours but that'd take too long. I'll give you the brief version for now: Today was laid back. I met people, had breakfast at a nearby cafe (the fresh squeezed orange juice is awesome), had a meeting with my new boss, ate lunch with the missionary women, unpacked, got a tour of the city and the city orphan care center, then had dinner with Wilfred, a German gardener who cooked special German food for me and Caitlin. (They've been feeding us so well... I've had ice cream two times already!) 
Caitlin and I share this 3 bedroom house.
Me and Caitlin. The two new PHC interns
I will do my best to upload lots of pictures but I can't take pictures out in the city for several reason: 
1) It makes the African people mad. They don't want you taking pictures of their city because they don't take pride in it and would be embarrassed for people from other places to see it... I personally think the city it beautiful with all the tropical trees and plants. 
2) The Africans don't like it when Americans come and take pictures of them and their stuff and then go back home and get rich from it. 
3) My camera might get stolen or taken away by police if I pull it out. 

I'll still be taking lots of pictures though. (Just not certain places.) I start my job taking photos at the orphan care center tomorrow! Thanks again for all your prayers. It feel good to finally be in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment