Saturday, March 12, 2011

At last… a day full of football!

The black Adidas Sambas I brought with me to Africa are covered in red dirt and mango juice. My muscles are a bit sore and I am slightly dehydrated. I think I might’ve sweat more today under the hot African sun than in all my time in Africa combined (which is saying a lot). And… I don’t mind one bit because today I finally got to play me some African soccer!

True to the nature of living in Africa, even playing soccer comes in extremes. It’s all or nothing. Up until now, I haven’t been successful in finding people to play soccer with. I have been experiencing serious soccer withdrawal! Well today, like a rainfall after months of dry season, soccer finally returned to my life. I met a few Project Hope and Charité girls this past week that like to play soccer so we decided we were going to have a match at the center this morning. I showed up at 7am with a soccer ball and spent the next two hours slipping around the gravelly field with PHC kids playing a match of girls verse boys. I’m not sure who won but we all had a good time.
soccer at PHC
There’s more... In my search for girls (or anyone) to play soccer with I’ve been in contact with some soccer players at the university in Bangui. They keep saying there will be games and I keep trying to show up for them but they haven’t happened yet. What has happened is that I’ve made a new friend who loves soccer as much as me, a girl my age named Blanche. Today Blanche called me up and told me I should come play soccer with her this afternoon. YES! More soccer! So, after recovering from the morning soccer match, off I went to play a pick-up game in Blache’s neighborhood (we were the only two girls so it definitely wasn’t girls verse boys this time). It was great!

To top off the day of playing African soccer Blanche and I played around with some of her nephews in her front yard dribbling a partially deflated soccer ball around mangoes, chickens, and women carrying buckets on their heads and shooting on goals marked with rocks. If only every day could be like this!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful is He that has called you and you wonderful for taking the call at this your age, giving all to God the Father.God bless you.
    Am SAMUEL OMOTAYO RIGHTEOUS, A STUDENT OF LIFE THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY AND ALSO A STUDENT OF SCHOOL OF MISSIONS, I NEED TO SPEAK MORE WITH YOUR BUT NEED TO BE IN THE CHURCH,SEND ME YOUR
    Email through
    Email: weslright@yahoo.com
    so as to make more chatting or send interaction through. Am called as A "MISSIONARY" but presently on training.

    ReplyDelete