Monday, January 17, 2011

Knitting 101

I decided that I am going to join the technical training sewing class at the PHC center. Why? I think the better question is ‘Why not?!’ I will learn to make all sorts of neat stuff, be able to practice my Sango, and build relationships with the 20 or so teenage students that are in the class. Sounds like a good deal to me!

learning to knit!
Today was day one of carrying out this brilliant plan and I learned how to knit… sort of. I’m not so sure knitting is my thing. Mostly I just spent a lot of one-on-one time with the instructor. She’s great! I sat by her all morning while she taught me (in Sango) how to knit. I’m not actually sure what I’m making but after a few hours of my first knitting lesson I’ve got about half an inch done on whatever I’m making. I am very proud of that half inch of whatever it is! Not to brag or anything but all the girls in the class told me I’m doing great and that my knitting looks really pretty. (That’s not saying a whole lot though because they’re quick to praise anything I say or do whether it’s deserved or not… that’s probably why I like hanging out with them.)

Na devant… oko… use. Na peko ni… oko… use… Ay! A yeke nzoni ‘ape. Mo lingbi ti leke ni?” That is pretty much the extent of my Sango usage while I was knitting. Counting stitches. Messing up. Asking for help. It was fun. Most of the kids were busy working on projects so it was a pretty quiet day in class but whenever someone said something I’d start doing translation in my head and I’d forget what stitch I was supposed to be doing next. So far, knitting and talking Sango aren’t a good mix.

On top of all this, the area where the sewing class is held is right next to the kitchen area where the women cook lunch over fires. The smoke was thick today and kept getting in my eyes and making me cry. So anyway, that was my whole morning: learning to knit, crying, asking people to fix what I’d done, knitting, laughing, and knitting some more. I would say it was a successful first day in the sewing class.

A few of my sewing class buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment